THE PROBLEM: "I feel like all I'm doing is posting one photo session after another. I know I need to share my brand...but I don't really know what that looks like online."
THE SOLUTION: Become a storyteller. Share the "experience" of your brand through a variety of visuals+images that connect with your ideal customer and make them want to step into your world!
4 EASY WAYS TO TELL THE STORY OF YOUR BRAND!
So many photographers struggle with this! And yes, my friend, I hear you. It's easy to over-think the process of "sharing your brand story" with the internet world.
But I've got you covered today because I have 4 ways for you to step out and intentionally share your brand...this week.
WHAT IS BRAND STORYTELLING, ANYWAY?
Brand storytelling is basically the easiest and most authentic way to “connect” with people. It’s what makes you interesting to the people “observing” you on Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook and Twitter.
Traditional marketing is about showing and telling the customer about your brand. Storytelling is about invoking an emotion and connecting with your customers.
There are actually 3 parts to storytelling:
- Who your business is and why it came to be
- What motivates you to be the owner of this business (your “why”)
- The “behind the scenes” of your brand
Your story begins with the connection made when the customer hears your name for the first time, when she sees your logo, visits your website, reads your about page and experiences your interactions on social media.
But beyond that, your story is your voice. How you write. The stuff you talk about when you post. The words you use, the tone she hears, the personality that evokes emotion in your readers and listeners.
STOP OVER-THINKING IT
In a nutshell, it’s basic. It’s about being human. It’s about letting your guard down and just “talking” to your audience. Share the story of your brand by sharing the “real inside look” at who you are as a business owner.
Gen-Z teens can sniff “trying too hard” a mile away. They know when they’re being “advertised” to.
Brand stories are not marketing materials. They are not ads, and they are not sales pitches. Brand “storytelling” is you…your personality…your perspectives and your interests. Posts that are brimming with your personality will attract an audience…and potential clients.
HOW TO POST
But how do you do this out there on the internet? What does it actually “look like” when you're deciding what to post?
The best way to share your brand is through a mix of sharing your work while also sharing what it looks like and feels like to be photographed by you.
Traditional marketing was restrictive and formal. Storytelling is about “letting your guard down” and pulling back the curtain.
When posting on various platforms, connect with your audience in a genuine way. This may sound counterintuitive, but it’s the key to successful marketing: Stop trying to sell and instead, focus on connecting and building relationships. Answer the question of why teens should care about what your company has to say by talking “with them”
THE ACTION STEPS:
HERE ARE 4 WAYS TO DO THIS...THIS WEEK! VOILA!
Choose one that fits best. Then, plan the other 3 over the next 3 weeks (or, be inspired to create your own ideas).
01. CELEBRATE A CUSTOMER: You thought "Brand Storytelling" meant you were going to talk about your amazing brand? Right? Wrong...sort of. You're going to tell the story of one of your customers this week. A real, live, human story. Someone you want to feature because of a particular "something special" you connected with. Something that moved you. Something you want to celebrate and post with an image (or a few images via the new IG slidesharing).
Tell the story, authentically, in your own voice through your own eyes. This is your brand sharing your customer's story. This type of storytelling is powerful.
02. SHARE YOUR "IT FACTOR"...YOUR STAR QUALITY: Ohhhhhhhh. Yes. THAT. Of course you need to know what makes you different from your competitor. And if you read my newsletter last week you did the homework assignment that led you to really exploring what that is.
So now, share it. A raw, open statement about that "thing" that sets you apart. Pair it with an image or images that you feel expresses it. Consider posting a video. Or an image with your branding statement over it with a "real" story of what you're all about. You can do this. You really can.
03. SHARE A CLIENT TESTIMONIAL---VIA VIDEO: Everyone wants to hear about rave reviews! In fact, it's the number one way consumers are choosing brands these days! What better way than to ask one of your clients if you can video their excitement after the photo shoot, image reveal, or product delivery! Yes, rave reviews are everywhere these days...but using the power of video is unique. At least for now it is, until everyone starts doing it! Be a leader.
04. TIME TO GET PERSONAL: When was the last time you shared the "you" of your brand in a post? Okay, listen, I know this can be hard. But trust me when I tell you that this creates a "huge" connection with your audience.
Share something they don't know about you. Consider a hobby or a passion. Or, share something like "10 things you may not know about me"...and then post a fun image of yourself. Better yet, do this via video. Your audience will love it.
So there you go. 4 different ways to connect with your tribe by sharing your brand in compelling and storytelling posts.
Share one each week over the next 4 weeks for impact...or use your own ideas. It will move you closer to the concept of authentic brand storytelling to connect deeper with your followers1
Did you miss the article about "How to Create Your Brand Statement"? Check it out here: